What they found was that enzymes in the leaves of the plant break the toxins down into non-toxic components that the plant can use. It is a little like the way the human liver cleanses the body of toxins. The chemicals then move into the root system and the soil and micro-organisms break it down even further.
Best plants that remove chemical vapors from indoor air.
- Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii)
- Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata "Bostoniensis")
- Dwarf Date Palm (
- English Ivy (Hedera helix)
- Florist's Mum (Chrysanthemum morifolium)
- Gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii)
- Kimberley Queen (Nephrolepis obliterata)
- Rubber Plant (Ficus robusta)
- Areca Palm (Chrysalidocarpus lutescens)
- Corn/Happy plant (Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana")
- Dracaena "Janet Craig" (Dracaena deremensis "Janet Craig")
- Schefflera/Umbrella Tree (Brassaia actinophylla)
- Peace/Madonna Lily (Spathiphyllum sp.)
- Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina)
- Dendrobium Orchid (Dendrobium sp.)
- Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia "Exotica compacta")
- Ficus Alii (Ficus macleilandii "Alii")
- King of hearts (Homalomena wallisii)
- Lady palm (Rhapis excelsa)
- Lily turf (Liriope spicata)
Dr Wolverton wrote a book, "How to Grow Fresh Air :50 House Plants that Purify Your Home or Office". If you are interested in learning more about how to rid your air of toxins this could be a great read.
Be healthy and happy