Monday, March 30, 2009

Tactics to Get Rid of a Cold


Over the years I have collected a variety of remedies to deal with a cold. It is always better if it can be stopped before it gets a good hold on, and mostly I am successful but not always. Sometimes, to my peril, I just don't listen to the warning signs. Anyway, I thought I would share some of the things I have found that work for me and also some that I haven't yet tried but that sound interesting.

If you have a favourite method share it with us by leaving a comment.

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is my personal, good old standby. I have had lots of success using vitamin C on a wide range of issues which I won't go into now. The problem most people have with taking vitamin C is they don't take enough. Please don't take heaps and heaps of those flavoured chewable tablets as they have lots of fillers in them and are not intended to be taken in mega doses. It is best to use pure ascorbic acid powder if you can get it. I used to use calcium ascorbate powder until I found out about pure ascorbate powder. One teaspoon of powder is equal to four gram of vitamin C.

The late
Linus Pauling says "to take 1 or 2 grams of vitamin C at the first sign of a cold and then again an hour later, if the symptoms still exist - if you are still sneezing, or your nose is running or feel shivery, take another 1 or 2 grams of vitamin C. Keep doing that until you forget because the symptoms have gone away and this will stop a cold in almost every person who follows the regimen."

Not everyone likes to take large doses of vitamin C so here is another method of using vitamin C at the start of a cold. I have not tried this (because I only just found out about it here) Mix 1 teaspoon of ascorbate powder in about 100 ml of water (just enough to dissolve all the vitamin). Then either use a dropper and place 20 drops in each nostril or use as a nasal spray and apply several fine sprays of the ascorbate solution in each nostril.

Vitamin D

This is my current favourite. Not suitable for all weathers, like today when it is cold and wet and there is no sun. Recently I read that your body's own antibiotics, called antimicrobial peptides, are released by vitamin D. So if your vitamin D levels are low then you are more likely to get colds, flu and other respiratory infections.

Dr John Cannell the founder of the
Vitamin D Council recommends that at the first sign of a cold to use 2,000 units of Vitamin D per kilogram of body weight. The dose would be taken once a day for three days. In Europe this is called "stoss" therapy and is safe to do, unless you have a high blood calcium for any reason. For this, he suggests using 50,000 IU capsules of vitamin D3 which are a medicine not a supplement. He warns that this is only to be done for the three day period as taking that dose every day for months or years is toxic and could cause death.

The Sun

When I worked out how many tablets that would be and what it would cost, I thought that seeing as I live in Queensland, Australia, the best thing to do would be to sit in the sun. 15 minutes in the early morning sun (before it is strong enough to burn) and do that for two or three days and the cold just doesn't happen. I have done this quite a number of times and it is magic.

Water and Sea Salt

This one I discovered after I read Dr F Batmanghelidj's book "Your Body's Many Cries For Water". At the first sign of a cold drink two glasses of water and take a pinch of salt with the second one. Then every hour on the hour have one glass of water. If you forget and two hours have gone by start again with 2 glasses of water and a pinch of salt. This usually works, although I have had failures, and it only works if you do it religiously.

Other Random Methods

I have not personally tried the following methods but some of them are quite well known.
  • Zinc lozenges can help speed recovery.
  • Gargle warm water mixed with 1 teaspoon salt several times a day to help throat soreness.
  • Garlic or garlic juice
  • Ginger tea. Some add lemon juice and honey to the tea.
  • Administer a few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in each ear. There will be some bubbling and in some cases mild stinging occurs. Wait until the bubbling and stinging subside (about 5 - 10 minutes) then drain onto tissue and repeat other ear. To cure the flu you'll need to repeat this process two or more times at one or two hour intervals until there is no more bubbling when putting hydrogen peroxide in the ears. My source for this claims 80% success rate.
  • Chicken soup
  • Sage - make a tea and let draw for about 5 minutes
  • Turmeric - see my previous post - 1 teaspoon turmeric in a cup of warm milk 3 times a day.
  • Cinnamon and honey - see post before last - 1 tablespoon lukewarm honey mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon for 3 days.


Well they are the ones I can think of for now. There are a couple of new ones there that I might try myself if I ever need to.

Keep cold free

Jocelyn





No comments:

Post a Comment